TAEHO was formed to ensure that the persons with Albinism community, the disabled, and the vulnerable children and women, live in a secure and healthy environment by introducing measures aimed to give them equal opportunities in education, health, economic activities, human rights, leadership, and the freedom to participate in decision making beginning from the grass roots to the national level.
The Goals of TAEHO United States – TAEHO Tanzania (Tanzania Albino Economic Health Organization) are:
Persons with Albinism are plagued by poverty, deprivation, skin diseases, poor eyesight, stigmatization, lack of proper education, and direct threat to their lives. Four categories of objectives were formed for the purpose of creating solutions for the problems identified.Economic Objectives
- TAEHO seeks to empower people with albinism, the disabled, vulnerable children, and women, by providing opportunities for education so that they can become vital and valuable members of society.
- TAEHO has taken the initiative to persuade donors, society members, and with persons with Albinism, to participate in “The Albinos’ Economic Empowerment Program”. The program aims at empowering people and pooling funds to train persons with Albinism in entrepreneurial skills, project management, and the provision of start-up capital.
- TAEHO seeks to teach people with Albinism and their families, about the condition, so that they can better understand how to protect themselves from skin cancer.
- Ensure that persons with Albinism living in poor conditions are provided with the necessary basic items for optimizing their vision protecting their and skin health. These items include sunscreen, sunblock soap, eyeglasses, magnifying glasses, sunglasses, caps or hats, and protective clothing.
- Assist persons who have been affected by serious skin diseases to avail appropriate care at specialized hospitals.
- Assist persons with other physical and mental health needs to gain access to health care.
- Bring mobile skin clinics which can reach persons in rural areas with the aim of curtailing skin cancer.
- To promote independence in the disabled by supporting them to obtain necessary health aids such as limb prosthesis, wheelchairs, or receiving specialized education such as sign language and or reading braille skills.
- TAEHO is focused on ensuring that all children with Albinism are provided with good quality education for the betterment of their future:
- Ensuring that all school age children are registered at the age appropriate schools
- Sensitizing the parents of children with Albinism to appreciate the importance of sending their children to school.
- Routine assessment of academic performance and attendance.
- Assisting the parents of children with Albinism to meet all the educational expenses: The expenses cover school fees, school uniforms, boarding fees, cost of books, food, and transportation to their respective schools.
- Providing vocational training to the youths who have Albinism who have not been able to make their way to college.
- Persons with Albinism have the right to live just like any other human being. TAEHO is dedicated to raise awareness about the ongoing human rights crisis impacting people with albinism in East Africa, particularly in Tanzania.
- TAEHO works to dispel the myths surrounding the condition to increase acceptance in society.
- Educate society that being born a person with Albinism is not a curse, hence, they should not be stigmatized or treated in a cruel manner.
- Sensitize society to be vigilant and quick to report a suspected act of threat, cruelty, marginalization, and stigmatization of persons with Albinism, to relevant authorities.
- Vigorously crusade to remove the myth that Albino body parts can enable one to become rich or ascend to power.
- Ensure that society is adequately prepared psychologically to handle persons with Albinism with different difficulties.
- Perform ongoing studies and gathering statistics on persons with Albinism to ascertain population numbers by locations, their activities, and gather information on any incidences of attacks.